leontineshome

Reckless
Skye Jordan

Review; Kitty Thomas - Big Sky

Big Sky - Kitty Thomas

When Kitty Thomas offered Big Sky for review I jumped to the chance. Comfort Food is still one of those erotica stories I’ll remember for its unusual and thought provoking storyline. I love challenging my boundaries but I think I bit more of than I can chew with Big Sky. I normally love the Dom/sub trope but what Kitty Thomas gave me rubbed me the wrong way.

Due to her own machinations, Ronnie hits rock bottom and with no penny to her name. She meets Luke by chance and he offers her a place to stay and work. His offer, however, has a lot more in store for Ronnie. I didn’t like Ronnie right off the bat with her nature of living above her means. Luke was interesting in the beginning but when Ronnie decides to move into his ranch the “fun” starts and all I wanted to do was slap Luke a good one across the face.

Quote;
'He released her then. She’d gotten only a few steps to the door when an electric zap shot up her body. She crumpled to the ground, shrieking so loudly she could barely believe the noise had come from her own mouth. She convulsed a few more times, then lay still, disoriented and terrified. Yes, Luke could do anything. He stood over her, a small remote in his hand. “If you try to signal for help in any way, I will push the button, and I won’t push it just once.” The shock cuff made even the idea of branding seem like child’s play.'

Luke’s way of conditioning Ronnie was the first sign of irritation. I couldn’t get in to the mind set of Ronnie why she would go along with it. Still I was patient enough to see her evolve. Then something else happened that was a major red flag for me.

Quote;
'I’m not kidding, Veronica. You will be her. Or else. You’ll make me forget you aren’t her. I’m not going back to before I found you. You will love me and obey me and submit to me, and you’ll do it with that look of adoration 'Trish used to give me or I’ll never stop making you regret wearing her face.” His voice had risen as he became more intense. “Am I getting through, here?'

Trish was Luke’s former submissive who died in childbirth. I had major trouble with the fact Luke wants Ronnie to become Trish. He didn’t value Ronnie on her own spirit or her own personality. No, he liked her because Ronnie looked like his deceased submissive. This fact made it very hard for me to believe in any kind of relationship between them.

There’s a fine line between a dominating man and an asshole, between a woman who finds strength in submission or just submitting. Luke and Ronnie didn't hit the balance right and I couldn't really get invested in their relationship dynamic. The character development and their motivation to be together was very self-centered and it put me off. Then the ranch helpers also got involved in the erotic nature of the game played by Luke. They wanted to drink breast milk from her.

Quote;
'Luke pulled away. “You’re going to give me milk like a good little animal, aren’t you?” She closed her eyes against his scrutiny. He stroked the side of her cheek. “I’m going to condition you to want to give me what I want. By the time your body is ready, the idea will arouse you so much, you’ll happily let me milk you every day.” Maybe a part of her sick, twisted mind already wanted to.

The erotic trope in Big Sky is definitely dark and twisted. While I like authors to push the envelope and search the boundaries of the reader, the sexual nature of Big Sky couldn’t make me gasp for breath or read on with a pounding heart. It was all; “Are you kidding me!” The ending befitted the story but like the rest of the story it didn’t leave me in any way satisfied.

Kitty Thomas possesses incredible writing skills but in Big Sky the characters failed to resonate with me and due to this the eroticism fell flat for me.

2 stars

Quote;
'I take care of what’s mine, princess.'