leontineshome

Bare Knuckle
Katie Porter
Reckless
Skye Jordan
Falling Into You - Jasinda Wilder I found my way to, Falling Into you, via social media. In my Facebook timeline I noticed a link to an interview with self-published author, Jasinda Wilder. From that interview I wanted to know more about her books and went to Goodreads. There I read the blurb of Falling Into You and I knew it was the story for me to read. I was in an emotional state that morning and I needed a story that would satisfy my need for an equal emotional story. So I bought it and started reading immediately.

It was a first person storytelling and I was intrigued by Nell from the get-go. When the story begins she’s sixteen and falling in love with Kyle, her best friend. It was a sweet love story with the intensity of first time love. I was swept away to the excitement that comes from being on the precipice of adulthood. Of giving yourself for the first time. Making plans for the future. I was there, emotionally invested in these two wonderful young people, when the story takes a dramatic turn and my heart was shredded to pieces.

I reveled in the impact it had on me and at the same time felt so sad for Nell. From that moment the story becomes edgier as one event turns the life of Nell and Colton. The story was no longer sweet and rife with possibilities but full of dark feelings and not knowing where to go or what to do. Just feel the storm inside.

Colton is a man that had to make it on his own from a very young age, he was an ex-gang member, a fighter and is now trying to make something of his life. I loved the layers of his character. He could be violent, has his own moral code but the way he gives himself to Nell just had me falling for him, hard!

Nell is no longer that vibrant young woman but dealing with guilt and loss. The future she envisioned no longer one she desires. She is changed and dealing with it in her own way. Since this story is told from Nell’s perspective it is important the reader can connect with her. And that is exactly what I did! All the good and the bad, every emotion Nell has is exposed for me to absorb and I loved it. To experience how Nell came to terms and fall in love again is very moving.

Even though the storytelling has a fast pace the writing is beautiful and attention grabbing. It enhanced the impact as both main characters explored their emotional journey. The grief feels so real, their budding romance so poignant, their sexual attraction skating on the darker side and I just gobbled it all up. Colton and Nell connect together in a way that had me believe they’re just made for one another.

Falling Into You is a raw but intensely gripping coming-of-age story that instantly became one of my best reads in 2013.

4.5 stars

Quote Nell:
I wanted nothing more than to climb into the box with him and quit breathing, find him in whatever came after life.

Quote Nell;
I knew the song within a few chords: “Reminder” by Mumford & Sons. I thought He’d only play, so I was stunned when he took a breath and began to sing the words in a low, melodic, raspy voice. He didn’t just play the song as it was, though. He twisted it, changed it, made it his. It was already a beautiful, haunting song, but Colton’s version touched something in my soul.

Quote Colton:
“But when you feel that kind of all-consuming need for someone, a person you’d do fucking anything for, no matter what? They’re in your fucking skin, in your soul, like the essence of who they are is imprinted on you so completely that the very air you breathe and each molecule of who you are is tangled together. That’s love. I loved her like that. Colton’s voice is…shattered. And she’s gone. That’s why I have this shit on my chest, the scars. I couldn’t deal. I couldn’t accept that she was dead for the longest time.”

Quote Colton:
“I’m not just falling in love with you, Nell. I’m falling into you. You’re an ocean, and I’m falling in, drowning in the depths of who you are. Like you said, it’s scary in a way, but it’s also the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced. You are the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced.”