leontineshome

Bare Knuckle
Katie Porter
Reckless
Skye Jordan
A Perfect Darkness - Jaime Rush I barely read the first chapter of A Perfect Darkness when the author, Jaime Rush, launched the fireworks plot wise and hooked me for the rest of the story with a hundred questions I wanted answered. The Offspring series hit it off with an exciting introduction and five people who were all interesting in some form or another.

The theme of a government project going awry with the result that people were suddenly showing signs of paranormal abilities resonated with a bit of a déjà-vu feeling and I couldn’t put my finger on where it was coming from. I didn’t mind it one bit though, since I love a good conspiracy within an agency and the power scheming minds at work within the agencies hierarchy. I can genuinely cheer for the underdogs who become the rebellions in their need for answers and quenching me thirst for information at the same time. They are called the Offspring and with Lucas Vanderwyck and Amy Shane I got my first taste in what this series had to offer.

Amy Shane is a computer expert on retrieving lost information and has a cockatoo named Orn’ry to keep her company. When she goes to bed all she desires is to see her dream man again but when drifting off in to her REM sleep one night she is rudely awakened by her dream man. Lucas is alive and talking gibberish to her about their parents and not to trust anyone.

Lucas is a painter, an artist, hereditary sensual and he shares this amazing psychic gift with a woman he felt all of his life and this gets him in serious trouble. Someone is rounding up the Offspring and the slogan: Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country is taken to another level.

Throughout the story they mostly meet in their shared reams giving their passion a bit of an illusory quality while their connection is more than apparent and felt through the pages. It was the separation of Lucas and Amy and the complicated situation surrounding them that created an image and feel of an impossible love. Sacrifice, courage and longing imbedded with a hint of stubbornness is what fueled this romance story. I thought the romance was appealing and definitely an addition to the story. It combined well with perilous moments, edge-of-your-seat situations and it raised the stakes for each character in this novel which ultimately led to an exciting conclusion.

When Amy meets the siblings, Petra and Eric Aruda, my antihero signal flashed itself as Eric makes a few choices that flirts with the limit of good and evil. He enjoys his power and has no moral problems in using it against those who threaten him with lethal force. Every character in this book bears a prominence because everything is intertwined together and gives the reader – eventually – a more complete picture. From Gerard Darkwell, the one leading the project and who has patriotism in his blood. The righteousness burning in his soul allows him to justify the means and makes him one hell of a dangerous opponent for the Rogue Offspring to deal with. To Cyrus who is ex-CIA and the five children, bound together by the memory of sharing an innocent sunny afternoon with an inflatable pool and in the end have so much more in common.

What really took the lead in A Perfect Darkness for me was the introduction of other Offspring, which went hand in hand with the plot, and the background of project BLUE EYES and DARK MATTER. The story is a revealing of information concerning the past and present of various Offspring, some questions get answered as new one’s arise, what should warn the reader that the overall plot is a long way from told. The high speed chases, the rescues, the frantic search for information and discovery of powers, it all ups the thrilling suspense and had me living in the moment with various characters.

Jaime Rush is a new author for me and the voice I found in The Offspring series definitely invites me to read the next story in this series: Out Of The Darkness coming in October 2009.

Quote Ozzie to Amy:
“So you don’t like, ah, sex?”
“It’s fine. I just don’t like dealing with guys in general. You know, the morning after, relationship stuff.”
“Are you a…lesbian?”
“No, a vibratorian.”

Quote Amy to Petra:
“I’m not trying to impress anyone,” Amy said in her defense, slipping into the dress. She looked at her reflection. “Wow,” Amy Shane, sex goddess, in three easy steps.