leontineshome

Bare Knuckle
Katie Porter
Reckless
Skye Jordan
Reap the Whirlwind, 2nd edition - Josh Aterovis !!Warning!! If you haven't read the previous books this review can contain spoilers.

I had my complete review in my head on all the things I wanted to say. I was again in awe of the likeable and personable characters Josh Aterovis brought to this tale. How the suspense was a subtle tension throughout the novel, keeping me on edge at all times. I wanted to tell you the great odds Will Keegan had to overcome, how he tugged at my emotions and what a fantastic opposite Aidan was to Will. Will was a troubled young man going through a life changing period and Aidan was the quiet center. He was strength, he was joy, he was love and laughter even though he also knew pain and doubts. The balance Will and Aidan created, the internal conflicts they had to meet head on, forged a bond between them that swept me in to all their separate and shared emotions.

Next to the blooming relationship I wanted to tell you I couldn't get enough of the whodunit plot. Josh Aterovis managed to gradually set the stage for a cruel murder which struck at the heart of a group of friends. Will, Laura and Joey have been the three musketeers all their life but events rip them apart and emotions where all over the place. Characters from Bleeding Heart also came into play, furthering overall character progress of people I already cared about. Will and Aidan where at the heart of this story where art, religion, friendship, suicide and more subjects where incorporated that captivated me. The author never stood on a pedestal when it came to the religion aspect, instead he allowed it to become a part of various characters in a natural way. The art was a tool for Will to express himself as he was struggling to deal with his suicide attempt. The support of, and help in the investigation from friends, tightened but also challenged friendship among various characters. I wanted to rave about the knack this author has for creating an absorbing storyline. There wasn't a moment where I was not engaged in how someone would react or how a situation would develop. But then, as romance and plot got to a pique...I was delivered a 180 degree twist which plummeted my enjoyment of this story so far!

At first I got this beautiful, romance rife scene unfolding in front of my eyes where I was crying my ever romantic heart out, rejoicing in the love. But only a chapter or so after that my romance brimming heart was ripped out, thrown on the floor and stomped upon! I was screaming in my head, flipping the final page back and forth. This was it, THE END! No more continuance in a next story. I felt so betrayed by the author! How could he have let me go through all those emotional struggles with the characters? Made me feel a powerful connection alive with love and then give me a moment where various actions set a chain of events in to motion that is such a let-down. Reap The Whirlwind will never be remembered by me as a beautifully told romantic mystery tale it was 96% of the story, but for the excruciating ending that made me scream; Nooooooo!

Josh Aterovis left me with a bleeding heart after I read the ending of Reap The Whirlwind. His writing style is grabbing! The dose of realism almost too much to bear. His characters are engaging, his plotting tight and it all blends into a story that is addictive. He is pushing the envelope and searching my boundaries to casually step over them and give me something I never saw coming!

3.5 stars

The quote for you to sample:
Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boast-ful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends; as for prophecy, it will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”