leontineshome

Bare Knuckle
Katie Porter
Reckless
Skye Jordan
A Dish Served Cold - Andrew Ashling A DISH SERVED COLD is one of those stories that can push buttons with the readers. For me it pushed all the right buttons. At the foundation of this world there's a slavery system that is born from trying to do good but gradually disintegrated into a full-fledged game of corrupt power play. It challenged my morals, it engaged a spectrum of emotions and from start to finish the author held me riveted to the pages what was to befall the main protag; Andrew.

Andrew was a normal teenager of fifteen years old; hormones raging, spending all his time with a few good friends and living a privileged life of the rich. Even though it all started a bit as an easy-to-read coming of age story where crushes and struggles were the main events, it slowly turned more serious and edgier. Andrew was confronted with problems that challenged his own outlook on life and I was fascinated by the internal dilemma's it presented. As the story progressed he grew in to a character of depth because what was right and what was wrong? I love complex characters or situations and Andrew Ashling definitely searched for the boundaries.

Personally, I don't think I will forget chapter ten anytime soon. In it a conversation took place that conveyed such details that it shocked my emotions in an uproar of anger and fear. I was preparing for a lot but the author managed to deliver a surprising plot point which kept me on the edge of my seat. The authors writing and characters kept me immersed in all that was going on and felt. Because, whether friend or foe, each character added a distinct voice to the overall story.

I thought the budding romance intense and in the end well rounded but I could have used more one on one time between Andrew and his love interest. The erotic moments were saturated with hormone raging need and it fitted the characters. There might be scenes that can get graphic and might be too much for a reader but for me it all enhanced the vibe of the world Andrew and those dear to him lived in.

When I finished the story I was wow-ed and for me there were some unique theme's, intriguing plot angle's, mixed with teenage tropes and a great sense of world building. Andrew Ashling is an author who has a way of blending it all in to a story that lingers, and in my avid reading world those are the kind of stories I always love to discover!
4.5 stars